Thursday, November 8, 2007

harry potter: in hell?

That's right! I'm fascinated by the obsession that the books and movies have received by many, including Christians. I wonder if people realize that everything the characters portray is in direct violation of what we are taught in the Bible. We see it many times, both in the Old Testament and New Testament. Here are a few verses:
Leviticus 19:26
Deuteronomy 18:9-14
2 Kings 17:17
Micah 5:12
Galatians 5:19-21
Revelation 21:8
Revelation 22:15

It is clear that any form of witchcraft, sorcery, or magic arts is a sin. People who practice these are sinning. So why do Christians choose to read the books and watch the movies, thereby supporting the views held within? Why would they willingly allow their children to be exposed to such things, and act if it is acceptable? I know that this will make people angry, because challenging things that they do or think always makes somebody upset. Truth hurts, people. I'm not saying I'm perfect- I find shows about witchcraft/vampires/magic appealing, because it presents a world of fantasy. But that is no excuse for me. We should flee all that God despises, even if it's popular in our secular world. As Christians, we look forward to the promise of eternal life with our Lord, and as such should forget the things of the world. I challenge you to rebel against social norms in favor of all that makes God delight in us- things that are good and pleasing. Those things do not include witchcraft and sorcery.

If you disagree, feel free to provide me with Biblical evidence of God approving of His children practicing witchcraft/sorcery/magic arts. I think you would be hard pressed to find evidence in support of those things.

No comments: