Monday, January 9, 2012

Why Moms Leave the House

I realized today why moms like to take their children out. It's not because they enjoy lugging around car seats and wrangling small children with amazingly slippery hands. They don't fancy the public tantrums, yelling ("remember, indoor voice!"), crying, and things being flung from carts. They may not even particularly want to get dressed in the morning, dress children, and see other people outside the home. So why do they do it?

It keeps the house neat.

Yep, that's right. I was out all morning, at MOPS and then the store, and when I came home the house was still as clean as I'd left it. Of course, it was also nap time, so as I'm writing this, I still have not had to pick anything up off the floor, because nothing was taken out this morning! By my calculations, the floor has been clean and relatively toy-free for 16 hours now, which has got to be some kind of record!

I am now trying to figure out places that we can go that will entertain the kids, not drive me crazy, and keep us out long enough to minimize the mess around here. I guess it will come down to whether I want to tackle all the aforementioned public obstacles or clean up a floor covered in the hazards toy companies have cleverly marketed as entertainment for children.

We'll see...

No comments: