Tuesday, July 21, 2009

sad state of dress

I've had something stewing in my mind for a couple days now. The more I pray for God to show me modesty in action and dress, the more I see immodesty around me. Do I judge the people? No, I sometimes feel sorry or embarrassed for them, because they don't realize what they are showing to others. I look at some of the things I've worn in the past, and I'm embarrassed for myself.
On Sunday, I saw something that bothered me. I was in church and there was a family in front of me. There were two girls, between 8 and 10 years old, and both were wearing low-cut (front and back) spaghetti strap tank tops. I wasn't ever allowed to wear those kinds of tops when I was little (I think the straps had to be 2" wide). The tank tops are pretty popular right now, so it's no surprise to see people wearing them. What did surprise me was that one of the girls was playing with the straps, and pulling them down off her shoulders, exposing parts of her that shouldn't be seen by the world. I don't even think she knew what she was doing, but it was very inappropriate for any situation, let alone God's house of worship. It makes me wonder what the parents are doing to teach the children what is acceptable in public (or anywhere). I wouldn't want my son to see that when he's older, and I intend to teach him to dress in such a way that others don't see what's under his clothing.
I would be horribly embarrassed if I had a daughter and she was nearly undressing herself in public, but the parents didn't seem to notice. I wish that parents would spend more time getting to know their children, and watching what they're doing. I'm learning what kind of parent I want to be, and it's one that's involved in my child's life. I hope that I'm the first one to teach my children how to dress and act, and not others who would influence them in a negative way.

No comments: