Monday, October 20, 2008

b-b-b-blueberries!


I woke up unusually drowsy this morning- in fact, I had slept right through all of the noisy yard work that happens every Monday morning here. By the time I woke up it was nearly time for lunch, and I wanted to make something yummy for Ken when he came home. I looked through our cupboards, fridge, and freezer, and just couldn't find anything especially spectacular. That's when I realized that I hadn't eaten anything yet, and thought breakfast sounded pretty good. So I pulled down the Wheat & Honey pancake mix (the only pancakes I make from scratch are crepes) and stirred up some scrambled eggs. Then I noticed there was no syrup- oops! I had seen blueberries in the freezer, and Ken loves blueberries with his pancakes, so I pulled out about 1/2 cup and threw a few tablespoons of sugar on top of them in the bowl. I microwaved them for a couple minutes until they were warm and the sugar had made a nice syrup with the berries. Instant blueberry compote for Ken!

Well, Ken walked in the door and saw the pancakes, and asked if I would put a few blueberries in. It was the perfect wife moment, because I pulled out the compote and he was giddy with glee! Ten points for me!

So here's to knowing our husbands, and knowing how to be innovative with the food we have on hand!

No comments: